Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Is anything too hard for the Lord?

Today I did my FP biblestudy and its about Abraham and Sarah and the Lord promising Abraham a child and Sarah laughing in the tent when she heard God making the promise to Abraham.

Genesis 18:13-14
13 Then the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' 14 Is anything too hard for the LORD ? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son."

And that got me thinking - how easily we laugh and mock ourselves the first time we "stray" from a goal we have set for ourselves. Did we not to start off with set unrealistic goals or bounderies (I will never eat anything sweet again etc.) Is that not why we failed? but we tend to take it personally and just give up. In the opening chapter of the FP Changes book Carol Lewis ask that we give the program a year and not to give up but just try again and again...

Later on in the study it asks that we make a list of names others would call us that carry too much weight and then to also make a list of names we call ourselves... and then to make a list of names God will call us as He gives us a new name (like he gave Abram and Sarai). As we step forward in faith through participation in the FP4Health Program to pick two favorite names we would like to be called... now that is an exercise! And then it asks what is keeping us from calling ourselves those new names right now? So what would you call yourself if you could choose a new name? I am still pondering on this - I came up with Successful, Believer, Achiever, Worker, Goalsetter...

Yesterday I spoke to the trainer again and he told me to hang in there as the results will not show up overnight - that it will take a lot of hard work before others will start noticing and that I cannot go by the scale alone because my answer to him was, "well people will only notice after I lose about 20 pounds" and he told me to stop measuring my success with the scale - that success is much more than what the scale says and that its "baby steps" all the way. I did not get in this shape in one week and it will not take just a week to get back in shape and healthy again. That was good to hear... so now my motto is small changes, baby steps, one day at a time and BELIEVING in God's promise that HE will carry me through this as I sometimes doubt that I will really be succesful and not give up (again).

I am so fortunate to be part of this group! Its so nice to sign in and get some daily inspiration right here! You girls rock!

Something else I would like to share is getting some Protein Whey powder from the health store and mixing that with either milk or water. I got some for myself as the gym owner/trainer suggested this and I have been having a chocolate milk shake (that is what I tell myself I am having) when I feel hungry around 4 or when I have to prepare dinner or just feel I will not make a good food choice as I am too hungry. He also said the South Beach Diet Protein bars are a good alternative and I now carry that in my purse in case I have an urge for fast food whilst in town.

Have a good week everybody!

2 comments:

truej.o.y. said...

I am so encouraged after reading that nothing is too hard for God, I believe with you that HE will see us through.

You have a good trainer. The protein shake sounds like a good idea. I look forward to hearing what else he has to say.

I might choose the name Hannah because it means Grace and that is what I need daily to reach my goal or Abigail which means Father's joy cause I hope I please Him with these efforts or Isabella -devoted to God which is what it is going to take to reach the Summit half my size!

To small changes, one step at a time!

mellymor said...

I have really been stuck on this idea of being a finisher. It has come up several times in the past month or so. God has given each one of us a purpose and sometimes we stop because it is too hard or we are scared. I want to be known as a finisher.

I also like the name Akira. It is a Scottish name that means anchor. This is a reminder that God is my anchor. This is sort of hard to come up with names – the negative ones are a whole lot easier. Why do we believe the bad stuff before we believe the good stuff?

You know a year really isn’t that long when you think about it. Maybe it is age but it sure seems like the years come faster then they did when I was kid. It seemed like forever till Christmas or my birthday and now it seems like we just had Christmas and here it is again. My birthday seems to come more frequently too. Imagine that.


Lyn, just remember that number on the scale does not define who you are. It just simply a number and it will change. I really do think our bodies are holding out on us. If that number doesn’t change then we just upset and go back to our old habits and the body gets what it wants. My body is not going to hold me hostage anymore.

I have started cleaning out my closet. I am getting rid of all the stuff that is too big for me. If I gain a little bit I want my clothes to be too tight so I will be uncomfortable. If I have bigger clothes I will just start wearing them and then before I know it I will be back where I started.